Injuries, Camels, and A Goodbye
After our long and tedious train ride, we settled in Delhi. Our first order of business was to check e-mail. We discovered that my sister and Alex, who were in the south of India, had had their hotel room door busted open and their bags slashed! A few items had been stolen. The hotel staff gave them the usual, "There there, Madame" treatment, and suggested that they lost these items at some point while they were out. This, despite the obvious damage to the door and the razor which was still lying on their bed! Sadly, I was not overly surprised by this as I had endured some of the same condescending attitude myself. On one occasion, a store employee told Jas to, "Take her back to your hotel room and have a talk with her..."!
Later that same day, as Jas and I were deliberating the positives and negatives of India, I was hit by a motorbike! We were walking down the street when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bike heading straight for me. As usual, it was weaving in and out of people and traffic. I tried to quickly move out of the way, but I was hit hard by the handlebars across my back. The bike swirved, lost control, and fell skidding on its side. Luckily, the two male passengers were uninjured; I, however, walked away with a nasty row of lumps and bruises!
Just when you feel like the most miserable person on the planet, reality strikes you hard across the face. This check came from a group of hungry, starving children who were begging us for food. As we walked with our heads down, a dozen small hands grabbed at us and pulled at our clothes. While this is common in India, one particular boy stood out and I looked up to meet his gaze. He had tears streaming down his face and his big brown eyes were full of despair. In that instant my heart was broken, and it was then that I realized the biggest reason why so many people hate India. It makes you think. It makes you ask yourself the question, "What am I doing to make this world a better place?" And sometimes the answer is scary.
Just when you feel like the most miserable person on the planet, reality strikes you hard across the face. This check came from a group of hungry, starving children who were begging us for food. As we walked with our heads down, a dozen small hands grabbed at us and pulled at our clothes. While this is common in India, one particular boy stood out and I looked up to meet his gaze. He had tears streaming down his face and his big brown eyes were full of despair. In that instant my heart was broken, and it was then that I realized the biggest reason why so many people hate India. It makes you think. It makes you ask yourself the question, "What am I doing to make this world a better place?" And sometimes the answer is scary.
We stayed a full week in Delhi before heading east to the yellow sandstone city of Jaisalmer. It was a long train ride of twenty hours, but we splurged on good tickets so that our trip was smooth and comfortable. We were excited to see the small desert city. Our first day was spent wandering around the quiet streets. We admired the beautiful buildings and the large fort that is perched above it all. We even met a man named "Aladdin"!
In order to experience the Great Thar Desert, we went on an overnight camel safari. There were only four of us: our guide, his young helper, Jas, and myself. A jeep drove us part of the way, and then we rode our camels over two hours into the vast desert. I enjoyed the feeling of being surrounded by nothing but desolate landscape and large sand dunes. We camped overnight in the open air, and fell asleep under an amazing blanket of stars! The following day we returned on our camels, and passed a gypsy village. The downside of our adventure? I ended up getting skin tears on my ass!
Our next destination was Jodhpur, known as the Blue city. Originally, blue houses were reserved for Brahmin (highest) class people as per the caste system; however, non-Brahmins soon joined in as the colour blue is thought to deflect heat and keep mosquitoes away. The old section of Jodhpur is now a beautiful sea of blue. We spent a couple of days exploring the amazing palaces, fort, and temples in the area.
Due to the fact that we were running out of time in India, we had a whirlwind tour of Jaipur. It's the Pink capital of Rajasthan province. We spent an entire day touring the sights, including the Amber Fort and the old pink city buildings.
We returned to Delhi for a short time, and finally visited some of the tourist destinations. We explored the Red Fort and enjoyed the amazing Jama Masjid mosque (the largest in India). Once again we splurged for our long journey back to Kolkata, and took a luxury train for the seventeen hour trip.
And so...after three months of exploration we were headed back to Bangkok. We both had an incredible experience; however, along the way I realized that the longer I stayed in India the less I liked it. This is mostly due to the fact that I'm a woman. For me, no other country has inspired such strong feelings of love or hate. I look forward to returning to India someday, but it will be for a shorter amount of time!


3 Comments:
Hey Em,
Your experience across the desert on camels sounds cool. Did you wear the classic all white clothes to reflect the sunlight away? I hope you took some cool photos. As for your love hate relationship with India you have because you're a woman, I'm sure you would have experienced that same emotion in some of the other asians countries too. For example, in Japan, woman are considered less than a man's equal, although you'd never experience random people in the streets groping you. I'm sure India is much worse. Still though, it's quite the experience for you. Sorry to hear you were hit by a motorbike. I'm glad though you weren't seriously hurt. Now that you're in Bankok, what are your plans? Are you going straight from India to New Zealand, or will you wait until you find some work first, before leaving Asia. Stay strong and keep writing. Keep letting us know about all those wild and crazy perspectives your experiencing. I'd love to visit India myself someday now. All the best,
Nick
I'm glad that you still feel as though you'd return to India, even if it's for a shorter time. It's nice to know that the country wasn't completely "ruined" for you, for lack of a better word. And I can appreciate what you mean about how it can really open your eyes and make you upset because you feel like you're doing so little. It's difficult to live with and wish you both the best with dealing with it in your own ways.
Jas had mentioned that you were getting injured left, right, and centre! I hope that you're starting to get a bit healthier, we're worried about you!
And it's cool that you got the ride the camels, despite the pain it must have caused with your injuries! The stars must have looked amazing... that's one thing I'd love to see since you can't really find that in most places of Canada anymore.
Love you guys!!!!
Em and Jas
It was great to hear how you are doing. Em I was glad to hear about your reaction to that boy in India and the treatment of women as well as visitors. You should feel strong emotions if it is not people's passion that spurs change it's their complacency that allows things to stay the same. You always impressed me as a person with their priorities in order true to yourself and others you encounter on the way. Never the phoney to impress don't ever change.
Thanx for reminding me of what's important as I have let some of the not so honest individuals cloud my vision of why I am a nurse. Keep up the good work I (the old nurse) am very proud of both of you. luv melon
Post a Comment
<< Home